These vegan “cheesecakes” were quite a hit among my friends! They have a tropical coconut flavour, but also have a citrus-y aftertaste because of the addition of lemon juice.
These are actually pretty sweet, and they make for a decadent treat (i.e. have it in moderation!). I would probably make these for a dinner party, to treat family and friends to some vegan desserts! However, I probably wouldn’t make these to bring to school as they’d melt haha. I love how these look and taste!
Most of these vegan cheesecake recipes call for you to use coconut cream, but I opted for cashew cream instead. I find that using coconut cream gives me a bloated, “too-full” feeling which I’m not really a fan of (not to mention that it’s pretty high in saturated fat too). Yes, the recipe does call for some coconut oil, but it’s a small volume, while still enough to impart the coconut flavour.
If you notice in the pictures, the texture of the filling isn’t very smooth. I don’t have a high speed blender at home, so I had to compensate by blending the mixture in my food processor for a looong time. And the texture still isn’t smooth! That’s why I’d recommend for you to use a high speed blender instead of a food processor, so you can get a nice, smooth consistency for the filling!
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup cashew cream (you can also make your own – see notes!)
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Unicorn Superfoods’ Ocean Blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preparing the Cheesecake Base
- Blend all the base ingredients either in a food processor or a blender. If you’re using a blender, ensure you don’t blend it for too long! You will want some texture for the base.
- Use a little bit of oil (very little!) to oil a muffin tray (or line with paper muffin cups). Place about 3 tbsp of the base mixture into each holder. Press it down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Place the tray in the freezer to let the base set.
Preparing the Filling
- Place all the ingredients into a high speed blender, except the Ocean Blend powder, blending until smooth.
- Separate half the filling mixture. Set aside half.
- Add Unicorn Superfoods’ Ocean Blend to the mixture that is still in the blender. Blend to incorporate.
- Take the muffin tray with the bases out of the freezer. Pour about 3 tbsp each of both halves of the filling into each holder. Use a teaspoon to stir the mixture a little to create a swirl effect with the different colours.
- Smoothen the top with the back of a teaspoon. Place in the freezer for about 2 hours to set!
- Take the cheesecakes out of the freezer 15 minutes before you intend to serve!